[aprssig] Re: IGate to APRS-IS data transfer delays

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 18 16:26:11 EDT 2006

Thanks,
I was not aware of those instances.  So thanks for claraifying.

So, has anyone clarified what each IGate does when it suffers
a lost connection and then attempts to re-establish the
connection?  Does it buffer packets until recoenected,
or drop them on the floor?

bob

Bob WB4APR wrote:
>Other than those 3 facts, it seems like jumping the gun
>to go looking for IGate delays when it appears to me
>(could be wrong) that DCD could still be the problem.
>ANd I agree, it is very hard to isolate the two...  but since
>RF DCD delays are so common, and long delays can perfectly
>be described by that process, it just seems like we have
>to find a way to eliminate that first.

It has already been established that non-RF delays are occurring.  I've seen several instances of direct reception of the same packet by two IGates - one IGate will pass the data with <3 seconds delay, the other will have a delay of a minute or more.  This is not to say RF delays aren't occurring, but that non-RF delays definitely are.

In addition to NMEA time stamps, TinyTraks sending hour/minute/sec time information are also useful.

73 de Mark N9XTN