[aprssig] IGate to APRS-IS data transfer delays

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jul 17 13:46:24 EDT 2006

>>> tim_cunningham at mindspring.com 07/17/06 11:27 AM >>>
>This discussion is not for DCD problems it is for what
>the title suggests. DCD delay is a separate problem
>with digipeaters.

I agree 100% with your assessment and with what you are
trying to do.  And I am sorry if I sound like a broken record,
but it seems that going and looking for Igate delays, without
figuring out a method to eliminated the DCD delays from
the process first, is trying to battle one set of unknowns
with a known problem mixed in randomly...

It is extremely tedious to look at every case.  I guess what
I am asking, is that someone needs to write an algorithm
that uses a known set of rules to try to separate these two
problems so that energies are not wasted jilting at the
wrong windmill?

Again, I am only kibitzing, and may have missed a break-through,
but without a tool to separate the two problems, it seems
too tedious to do it by hand.  I welcome  Tim's suggestions
to try to reduce the potential problem on the IGate side.  What
are the suggestions for nailing it all down?

Again, here are the facts as I understand them.  Correct me
if I am wrong:

1) Delays are seen.  These delays could be at DIGIS with DCD
   problems or they could be at IGates.
2) The DCD problem has been around  over 20 years, is well
   known, is well explained, is very very common and is
   very easy to accidently cause by wrong setups at the digi
3) There are no known IGate long delay processes other than
   the seconds or so inherrent in the internet.

Other than those 3 facts, it seems like jumping the gun
to go looking for IGate delays when it appears to me
(could be wrong) that DCD could still be the problem.
ANd I agree, it is very hard to isolate the two...  but since
RF DCD delays are so common, and long delays can perfectly
be described by that process, it just seems like we have
to find a way to eliminate that first.

My guess on an algorithm would be the following:
1) Look for all NMEA sentences (time stamped)
2) Compare times of arrival in APRS-IS
3) If a long delay is observed, then go look
   for other data to corroborate whether it is a DCD delay
   or not.

Only thing I can thinkn of is to have to then be lucky
enough to get TWO different stations NMEA through
the same digi within the "delay" time.  Either, they
are both delayed and come "out" at the same time
(though different going in)...(proving a DCD delay)

Or if you can find one NMEA that is long delayed
and another one that got into-and-out of the
same digi within the time period of the first one's
delay.  Then and only then, can you prove it was
not a DCD delay...

Good luck
Bob
Thanks Bob

>>> tim_cunningham at mindspring.com 07/17/06 11:27 AM >>>

This posting has been renamed from "Unreasonable xmission delay" to "IGate
to APRS-IS data transfer delays".

This discussion is not for DCD problems it is for what the title suggests.
DCD delay is a separate problem with digipeaters.

I am posting some discussion to this message to provide the background that
was discussed on the topic of IGate to APRS-IS data transfer delay to
explore why it happens. There has been discussion in the past pointing to
certain APRS gateway software as the problem with no convincing data to
clearly support this suggestion. The problem is position reports oscillate
back and forth when using the Internet feed for APRS data. We have seen data
deays from 1min 11sec to over 10min. Findu cannot filter out these delays
because of the lengthy delay. The end result is oscillating position reports
because they are delayed significantly in reaching the APRS-IS from various
IGates.

We need some basic guidelines for IGates to help reduce this data delay
problem.

After looking at a load of data, the one thing I see that could lead to
delay is the port an IGate uses to connect to an APRS-IS server. Generally,
a true IGate really does not care about what happens 2 digipeater hops
outside the IGate location (this can vary depending on the location). So,
one recommendation would be to use port 14580 and limit your range to say
200 kilometers or less for your Internet feed. If I am in Alabama with an
IGate and I have no reason to see a world feed or a USA feed. All I am
concerned about is what is within a 2 hop path in my area. This greatly
reduces the amount of processing power my computer needs and focuses its
strength in the area it needs to serve.

One correlation I see with IGates that have a large data transfer delay to
the APRS-IS is they are processing large amounts of data when using an
unfiltered feed for their area. Depending on the processing power of their
IGate CPU and I/O speed I think using a filtered feed can help speed up
IGates that seem to have significant delays in transferring what they hear
to the APRS-IS.

We use the "r/34/-86/200 t/n" filter option on port 14580 with the core
servers to limit the amount of data our IGate needs to process. This was
implemented because our IGate less responsive running on a P166 CPU under
Windows 95B. This filtered port dramatically increased the responsiveness on
our IGate. Why? The IGate now has less unnecessary data to process. We do
not care what happens all over the world and find it unnecessary to process
data that is meaningless for our IGate. Our data still gets to the APRS-IS
faster. Our local users still receive their APRS messages from any station
in the world that is directed to them and we still get our weather
bulletins. We do not seem to lose anything that is important using the
filtered port strategy. What we gained in speed was significant.

I am merely suggesting that IGates utilize port 14580 and limit the amount
of data your IGate processes on the incoming feed. You should see a
significant throughput when you implement this change to handle data
applicable to your area of concern. The port an IGate connects is a large
variable that exists in our environment today that can make a significant
impact to the transfer speed of data to the APRS-IS.

I apologize in advance if I am offending anyone by attaching some of the
history on the discussion. That is not the intention. The intention is to
understand and get a grasp on why we see some much variability in the time
between IGates feeding data to the APRS-IS. It is only my opinion that using
filtered port 14580 and limiting data to 200 kilometers or less would make
some significant improvements on existing and future IGates. If you have a
super powered computer, then the improvement by utilizing port 14580 may not
show such dramatic results as it would for a P166 CPU.

73's

Tim - N8DEU
Huntsville, Alabama

<snip> history