[aprssig] xastir vs. oziexplorer

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sun Jul 16 17:28:47 EDT 2006

On Jul 16, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Laidlaw, Andrew wrote:

> Xastir is free, and can be problematic to get running initially

How much trouble depends a lot on how much experience you have
building Unix applications from source, and how many of the extra
features (mostly map formats) you wish to build with xastir.  I find
it pretty easy to deal with, but I've been doing unix support for
over 15 years, so I may not be the best judge on how much trouble
you'll have. (:

Building Xastir itself is borderline trivial, as long as you are
satisfied with APRSdos maps.  Xastir depends on other libraries for
reading other map formats, and how much trouble it is to get these
libraries compiled depends on which platform/distribution you use.  A
"generic" linux distro will typically be the least trouble to build.

After it's up and running, xastir is as reliable as anything I run on
my systems, and I have high standards.  I've had over a year of
uptime on various systems (including an NFS/NIS/email server that
serves ~1000 users).  I consider any application or OS that needs
restarting/rebooting in order to maintain reliable operation to have
serious flaws.

I keep two copies of xastir running (one at home and one at work)
24x7x365, and they perform well.  I have had occasional crashes in
the past, but that was with a bleeding edge release.  Even xastir's
latest development release is typically _very_ stable.

-Jason
kg4wsv