[aprssig] Proposed UK licence changes. Links to doc's.

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 04:09:02 EDT 2006

Hi All..

For those interested, here are links to a draft of the proposed "Free
for life" licenses for UK amateurs.

There have been concerns expressed by others about the lack of true
unatended operation (not that we had that as such anyway!) such as may
instantly prohibit many Digi's etc...

This may all kick off when we get to October this year.

Download the 30 page PDF, read and make up your own minds.   Any
detailed questions, contact the RSGB and or Ofcom.

A link to the new "Free for life" proposed draft UK licence document
is...

http://tinyurl.com/hl8tu   For those interested, a 30 page PDF document.

Or the long URL version...

<http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/aradio/lifetimelicence/licencef
ormat.pdf>

OK...

Having now downloaded (again) the document and skimmed through it some
more, one or three things come to light.

The /A suffix is back!...  Bottom of page 6...

We still by default cannot run a "public" mailbox, voice repeater, or
internet gateway (IGate)  Page 11.

We can...  Record/retransmit messages to/from another specified licensed
amateur, IE, Packet digipeating I guess (NOT APRS as it stands?)

There is a lot of what seems new, in the way of allowing one to
construct a remotely operated station, so long as the control link is
secure, and not in contravention of any "service provider" rules/regs.
That makes me happy, as I can see the light outside the EM fug
possibly....

Interesting part about not encrypting messages sent over licensed
frequencies etc.  Not sure how MicE falls there, as if you haven't got a
MicE capable client, it's all gobeldygook, if we can still use APRS that
is...

Another interesting bit, "Identification"  (Section 13)  No mention of
the need to use CW?!?

We still are prohibited from putting anything in any airborne (free or
tethered) vehicle of any type.

***Please take note, any travelling hams from the US to the UK***  This
has never been permitted in the UK, well in my lifetime at least...

I can see a lot of people forgetting to update their details on the
Ofcom website every 5 years, without the postal reminder!...  Parra "G",
page 18.  Then loosing the license....

I suspect, that it will be necessary to apply for a NoV (Notice of
Variation) but at what cost? if you wish to run a true unattended Digi,
repeater, IGate etc, much as now.

Not sure about this but another thing, re PEP power.  Page 25. They now
state "Average" power during one RF cycle at the peak of modulation.
Have to go digging, but I thought it used to be RMS power
during..............  It's been a while since I read that part of BR68!

I also suspect that Note 2 on page 26, about using a spot frequency
(144.800) for transmitting positional information (APRS) at any one
temporary location.  No mention of mobile use...???

This is only a "Draft" version of the future license.  I'll bet anything
you like, some or many details will change by the time it all hits us
for real...

These are my personal observations, as a UK licensed amateur since the
early 70's.  But I'm no expert in this, so make your own observations.
Contact the RSGB or Ofcom if you have any other questions.

Cheers n Beers...

Dave G0WBX.