[aprssig] Cell phone and Pager alerts

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:20:34 EST 2006

On 1/31/06, Brian Webster <bwebster at wirelessmapping.com> wrote:
> Well the cell phone alerts would be on the text message side of things as I
> understand it. This is a store and forward system and even during Katrina
> response work in Mississippi we were able to communicate via text messages.

I just saw this today on another list:

~~~
REDMOND, Wash.-Communications systems were largely useless when
Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast region, _"but text
messaging did work," said John Lawson, CIO of Tulane University in New
Orleans._

Lawson and other officials who were on the ground during Katrina's
aftermath told a gathering of public-sector CIOs that _because text
messaging requires so little bandwidth, and in very short bursts, it
became a primary means of communicating during rescue-and-recovery
operations._
~~~
Full story here:
http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/38113-1.html