[aprssig] Cell phone and Pager alerts

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Tue Jan 31 15:01:24 EST 2006

What's not wrong with this. As I have heard it described it is just an
extension of the EAS system and gives emergency managers another way to get
the word out to as many people in an effected area as possible. I doubt it
will be any security threat as it will be outputting information that has
already been released to the mainstream media. It just provides timely
release of information to people who might not be glued to a TV or radio
that is listening to local channels. Now that we are in the days of XM radio
and Direct TV, more and more people are not listening to anything local. I
have my doubts as to how well it works as a phone dialing mechanism. I don't
think you can get timely information out dialing one phone at a time.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC