[aprssig] Software needed - Peet-Bros direct to FindU database

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Jan 28 17:34:40 EST 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 5:15 PM, Rich Parry wrote:

> This software must run in a Linux environment. I was thinking of a
> perl script that waits for the Utimeter 2000 to send a packet of
> weather information. When it arrives, the scripts would parse the
> data, connect to FindU, and then insert the weather information
> into the FindU database.

findU does not accept weather data directly, it has to go through the
APRS IS.

If you modify your request to send the data directly to the APRS IS
rather than RF, any APRS client that can connect to a weather
station, e.g. WinAPRS, UI-View, xastir, or any Citizen's Weather
client, e.g. Weather Display and many others, do exactly that
already. I do not know of any extremely lightweight code to do this,
as some accumulation is needed to convert the rain gauge data to the
three APRS formats (1 hr, 24 hr, and MN) as well as gust and average
wind speed. No reason it couldn't be done, I'd love to see it.

Steve K4HG