[aprssig] Re: Anyone running APRS on a LCD in a car ?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 24 15:15:06 EST 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Al Wolfe wrote:

>  FWIW:
>     Our state legislature (the best money can buy) here in Illinois has
> decided that it is illegal for the driver of a vehicle to be able to see an
> onboard TV screen or computer screen while operating a vehicle. This is very
> discouraging to me as I have been running APRS on a laptop, usually on the
> passenger seat, for many years.
>     This kind of puts the kibosh on running a lot of the newer gear that
> have a screen built in. I don't know if anyone has challenged this ill
> conceived law yet.

I'm not in that state, but I suspect that sort of law has or will
hit most states at one time.

So... Can you view a GPS screen?  Technically that's a computer
screen, whether it's graphical or not.

How about a computerized display of your speed/RPM/etc in a car?
Technically that's a computer screen so those cars have to be sold
off out of state and can't even drive through your fair state.

Next you might need to worry about the laws they're passing
regarding cell-phone use while driving.  Some of them end up making
two-way radio use illegal 'cuz they're so poorly written.  It'd be
"fun" to stop a cop and tell him he was illegally using a radio
while driving.  Could you give him a ticket?