[aprssig] APRS (Fire) In A Car

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Jan 24 09:50:51 EST 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, VE7GDH wrote:

> Stan N0YXV wrote on Jan 23 2006
>
>> OK I get the small wire point but, what's the best solution?
>> Two separate fuses?
>
> Recommended procedure is to fuse the negative lead as well as the positive.

  That does no good whatsoever if the fuse is too big for the conductor.

The NEC specifies that ALL wiring downstream of an overcurrent device be
sized for the full current capaacity of the source.  That would mean that
you either a) use wire capable of carrying 10 amps, even if the device
only draws milliamps (normally), or b) insert a smaller fuse at the point
where you transition from the high-current supply to the smaller wire.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin