[aprssig] Queries

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Mon Jan 23 07:24:25 EST 2006

The non-gated generic queries ?APRS? and ?PING? are responded to by most
software including the Kenwoods.  WinAPRS used to send one of these at
startup and you would see everyone in range beacon over the next 2
minutes every time someone started WinAPRS (random delays are supposed
to be built in to each responding software).

While some software will respond to lower case, only upper case is in
the specification and therefore only upper case queries can be assumed
to work.

If a generic query is gated to RF, I don't know which software will
respond, if any.  javAPRSSrvr blocks any generic queries gated from RF
to APRS-IS (prevents excessive beaconing on APRS-IS which we saw before
this feature was implemented).  Directed queries are simply messages and
will be gated properly both directions.

Hope this helps.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL