[aprssig] SSID Useage

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Sat Jan 21 10:25:20 EST 2006

In the _first_ days of NMEA trackers, ssid set your icon.  But then it
was decided to use the TOCALL in the packet set to GPSxy where xy
indicated the icon for the station.  There is also an optional format of
GPSxyz where z sets a number to overlay on the icon... so you can have a
car with the numbers 1-9 on it.  That has been the standard ever since.
 Some do still "sorta" "loosley" keep to the custom... -7 is a portable,
-9 a car , -14 a truck...but really, it doesn't matter any more.

Wes