[aprssig] AO-51 is in APRS packet mode again

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 15 12:19:54 EST 2006

For those APRS folks wanting to experiment with
9600 baud satellite APRS using their D7 or D700,
the ECHO satellite AO-51 is back in APRS digipeater
mode.  Freqs are 435.150 +/- 10 KHz doppler and
uplink is 145.86 using the path VIA PACB-1

Just set your APRS D7 or D700 APRS menu item
to 9600 baud instead of 1200 baud and change
yoru path to VIA PACB-1 and the uplink should
work just fine.  The problem is the weak downlink
you will only hear a few times a day in the middle
of the two best passes of the day.  The rest of
the time, you probably need a better antenna.

But if we have IGates with good antennas brining
the dowlink into the APRS Internet system, then
we have most of what we want.  A Satellite RECEIVE
system for APRS trackers in the wilderness that
can be captured into FINDU.

If you have a UHF beam (doesnt need to be a big one,
just a hand-held 7 elemet ARROW will do very well.
In fact, about 5 elements should do well...

de WB4APR, Bob

>>> "Jeff Griffin" <kb2m at comcast.net> 01/15/06 10:34 AM >>>
OOPS. I just worked AO-51. It  was back up in PACSAT mode last pass. The
digi is also on....

73 Jeff kb2m