[aprssig] APRSLink

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Fri Jan 13 10:15:01 EST 2006

The messaging software doesn't dictate paths.  The IGate software
dictates the path.  A basic premise that your post assumes is that the
path a station is heard via is the same path that a packet can be
returned to that station.  That is an invalid assumption and I can show
you offline many examples of where this assumption breaks down in the
real world.  This has been discussed extensively on the AX.25 SIG
regarding discovery methods.

Also, while using the APRS FLOOD mechanisms increases the problem,
multiple packet APRS messages sent over multiple hops (remember the
sender on APRS-IS can only guess at the timing to get a packet through
to the recipient) will begin to see collision problems, many times with
the acks coming back from the receiving station.  Add in other traffic
on the channel and you rapidly lose any ability at having effective
communication.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net