[aprssig] Screen Scraping of findU

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Jan 6 20:29:56 EST 2006

On Jan 6, 2006, at 6:35 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Since the highest update we usually see or encourage
> on APRS is 1 minute, it would seem reasonable maybe
> to poll at a 1 min rate, unless you are tracking several
> then maybe 30 secs?   Just a guess.  Usually best to
> but some limits on user settings to keep things within
> bounds... when it impacts others....  just a thought .

NO!

This is incredibly inefficient. If you have code that wants to get
live data, you connect to the APRS IS and get it there.

findU is not the backend for other people's code. I produced things
like rawposit and rawwx for programs like xastir, that request (on a
user's command) a single download of a block of data. You can load an
hour, a week, or a month of a track at once, and then continue to
update the track based on live data from a TNC or the APRS IS. Any
unauthorized automated polling of findU is against the terms of
service, and when I see it (and I know have a scanning tool that will
catch people doing this I will block their IP. I realize with dynamic
IP's this will be a bit of a struggle, but the effect on the server
necessitates it. I'd much rather spend my limited time on the
computer coding cool new things, but it looks like I have no choice
but to play bad cop...

Steve K4HG