[aprssig] Screen Scraping of findU

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Fri Jan 6 17:59:25 EST 2006

Steve Dimse wrote:
> If you are screen-scraping, and really believe this the only way you
> can get the data, explain your situation to me.

APRSKML (http://aprskml.dev.java.net) allows people to enter any number of
stations, manually into a list, which it will then use the posit.cgi at the
interval that google earth contacts the server, to update the stations position.
I use a queuing implementation that limits the simultaneous connections from the
same client to 4 to try and optimize latency on the network and in your database
(2 threads for each point of delay).

If aprskml is also connected to APRS-IS (or a TNC which noone knows how to use
yet because I haven't documented the configuration changes to make that
possible), and a polled station reports via APRS-IS, its polling will be stopped
and the APRS-IS feed will be the only source of data until polling is reinstated.

The user is in control of the polling interval from google earth to my
application, so they establish how much of a load this might be on findu.

My intent is that this would allow a handful of stations to be monitored using
findu data.  Hopefully the users would know to configure google with a
reasonable poll rate based on the importantance of their need.  I didn't
establish a minimum update interval at this point.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW