[aprssig] Re: The best resolution of position from APRS

KC2MMi kc2mmi at verizon.net
Thu Jan 5 15:52:03 EST 2006

Curt-
> Imagine that the objects is placed on one
> side of a raging whitewater creek or river, impassable.

No need to imagine. We were snowshoe camping in the Adirondack High peaks one
winter, about 3' of snow on the ground. The official trail conference maps
showed the leanto's on "this side" of a creek (cartography & printing limits
pre-GPS) and they were on "that side". The group leader knew the map was wrong.
Not having anyone blaze trail through fresh snow on the wrong side of a creek in
15F weather was a very nice thing.

Of course, that's also a mapping problem that even today most map software
companies refuse to address. They continue to show "pinpoint" resolution, when
they should be using position circles that are much larger blobs. AFAIK all of
the APRS software authors, and commercial mapping authors make this same
deception, on purpose. Including MS and Google, and the latter should certainly
know better than to intentionally mislead users. Even DeLorme (who I have mixed
feelings about) gave users the option to use three different sized circles for
their GPS position, so that SOME indication of position error is possible.