[aprssig] The best resolution of --- Kenwood

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Thu Jan 5 15:04:13 EST 2006

>>I paid $1200 (I think) for a IC-821 simply because
>>it was one of the few rigs that would really do
>>9600 baud.
>

> I assume that is with an external modem.

Right.

> The D700 works very well with an external TNC
> since it was designed for good 9600 baud RF
> performance with its internal APRS TNC.
>
> Just a data point.

It's much better then most supposedly 9600 ready rigs
but it still (I've heard) doesn't do as well as something
like a converted commercial rig.

I've been trying since the DCC introduction in 1999 to get somebody
to run some simple ping tests with it and other rigs.  It
would be good to have real numbers for comparison.  I can't say
too much now since I have access to a D700 with a KPC-9612 and
could run the tests myself.

It all just takes so much time...

Bill