[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 4 21:04:35 EST 2006

>>> HamLists at ametx.com 01/04/06 8:47 PM >>>
>Ok, I can't let this pile of manure that Bob has dished out sit.
>[concerning the black and white TV and color analogy]
>Ok, so APRS will be obsolete and unusable without a
>converter box by 2009, right?  Because that is what
>your analog TVs will be.

AH, but for 65 years or so the B&W and color TV's
worked perfeclty compatibly thanks to the standards
committee that saw the value of maintaining
compatibilty to existing sets.   If the programmers
and "lets make them buy a new tracker and a new
radio and new software every year mentality" people
had won, then we would not have the universality
that APRS is today.

>If this is what you are trying  to do with APRS, then
>why are you so against someone implementing the
>entire specification, not just a portion or some
>addendum you came up with? :-)

Because the original objective of the APRS spec was
to produce a document that documented for all
progarammers the APRS protocol AS IT EXISTS so
that others could program to that standard and
have good confidence that othes would see them
and that they would see an udnerstand others
packets.

One of the early complaints about the spec that
it was tedious and included a lot of small features
that were not really needed nor were in all
programs.  The APRS1.1 spec addendum was
in response.  It tried to get rid of obsolete
mechanisms and things that did not work or were
not fully implemented in all programs.

This would fullfil the spec's objetive to insure
compatiblity and to make the job of programming
future software easier but that would still
assure compatibility between users independent
of platrform.

>Flame on...  I am going to spend my time doing
>something useful like watching the Rose Bowl.

I wish I had that luxury instead of having to constantly
defend the spec from all this stuff.

de WB4APR, Bob