[aprssig] FINAL note on the 1 foot precision debate

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 4 11:57:26 EST 2006

Copy for those that have quit reading this diatribe....
and a few corrections...

************************************
Here is the bottom line on this debate.  I have no more
time for this refusal of XASTIR to move beyond the
1 foot precision problem.

1) XASTIR insists on sending the depricated obsolete
compressed object /item format that has been known
to not work on the thousands of Kenwoods for many
years which  reprsents 85% of our mobile APRS community
that sees objects in their mobiles.  This undermines the
communications on-air integrity of APRS when mobiles
cannot see these objects.

2) Yet there are 3 ways XASTIR could UPGRADE and
transmit objects to 1 foot resolution if they wanted
to instead of just bashing kenwoods, and using an
old format known not to work.

a) use KISS mode and send the object as a $GPGGA packet
b) Send the object in 3rd party format as a $GPGGA packet
c) IMplement the new APRS 1.1 !DAO! format.

To me, This insistnce on using the obsolete/depricated
compressed object/item format is what is holding back
progress, missleading the community, and bashing a
very useful product (Kenwoods) that almost half of us
depend on for our APRS picture.

If XASTIR would instead, use one of the existing formats
or update to the APRS 1.2 spec  proposal which does try to
be responsive to user needs, then ALL users will be able to
see what is on the air at a come-as-you-are event even if
the sender is using XASTIR.

de WB4APR, Bob