[aprssig] Re: The best resolution of position from APRS

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 4 11:24:06 EST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> What XASTIR wants to seem to do is keep using the
> depricated obsolete compressed compressed object format
> and complain for years because Kenwood wont make their
> radios compatible with it.

Thanks for speaking for our little group of 14 developers.  I call
BS on the statement above.  Don't take this stuff so personal Bob.
We're all trying to further the cause of this tracking stuff.

> I wish they would just implemnet !DAO! and lets keep
> everyone that currently exists compatible and get on with life..

I didn't say we _wouldn't_ implement the method you're talking
about.  A quick search through our Feature Request list didn't find
it, but I'm sure it'll get implemented at some point.  You might
imagine it wouldn't have a high priority among the 223 open requests
due to the fact that we already have a high-resolution method
implemented plus have many other things on our plate we'd like to
get to first.  In my case I'd like to implement a bunch more SAR
features.

My frustration is due to the fact that years ago we all were
striving to get as much of the spec implemented as possible and the
future was looking bright for advancement of the art.  Now we're
delving into the cover-our-tracks (that's a funny) spec deprecation
mode where we're taking giant leaps backwards, at the same time
adding more kludges to an already kludged-up spec.

You used to be one of the major proponents to getting the entire
spec implemented.  Somewhere along the line advancement of APRS
itself was forgotten.  You're suggesting programming for the lowest
common denominator.  I've seen other threads here which suggested
that we not change anything that would break UI-View too much,
because the author is SK and we'd alienate too many users.  Again,
programming for the lowest common denominator.  Programming for the
present state instead of looking to improve the future state of
APRS.