[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 4 02:09:14 EST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> I'm sorry, we must keep existing systems and users
> compatible.  It is counter productive for Xastir and
> Opentrack to set out to obsolete those 10,000
> radios.  When alternatives exist to give the same
> 1 foot resolution.

It's spelled OpenTrac.  At least get it right when you're slamming
somebody's protocol.  ;-)

I'll have to get my copy of "Evil Geniuses in a Nutshell" off the
shelf and start reading it again.  I hadn't realized that Scott and
I were planning the downfall of all Kenwood APRS radios.  You know
each of us has worked long hours to support APRS, right?  It's
interesting to me how you sometimes word things for shock potential.

Nothing wrong with a bit of discussion in my book.  Nothing's
perfect, no matter how loudly people defend it.  Kenwood APRS radios
could be near perfect with a tiny amount of work.  They're really
quite close to being ideal solutions, closer than anything else out
there.  If Kenwood had been listening all these years and had grown
as APRS had grown, plus fixed some minor deficiencies here and
there, the radios would be much better and they'd have sold quite a
few more.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer