[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jan 3 22:57:06 EST 2006

> Around here, just about everyone that is into APRS
> for other than as a cute WEB application, has a D7
> or D700.   Looking globally, at data from FINDU, a

Guess I'll have to change that, get a little more diversity out there.  =]
Honestly, I didn't mean to start Kenwood-bashing.  I do have to admit that
it's frustrating to have one vendor drive the spec.  Microsoft does that
with their embrace-and-extend tactics, but at least they DO extend what they
embrace.  With Kenwood it seems to be sheer apathy.  Does anyone at Kenwood
even know or care what's going on in the APRS community?

The D7 and D700 are fine radios.  I'm just not impressed with the company.
But they're not alone... of all the radio companies I've tried to contact,
exactly ONE has ever responded to me - Ten-Tec, the one US-based
manufacturer I contacted.  And they were excellent about answering and
questions I had for them.  I get the distinct impression that the Japanese
manufacturers don't take the same attitude, at least when it comes to the
export market.

Scott
N1VG