[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 3 17:06:58 EST 2006

>>> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> 01/03/06 2:08 PM >>>
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> Please, do not encourage the use of the
>> obsolete, broken,  compressed object format.
>
>You yourself asked me at one time to encourage
>the use of Base-91 compressed packets.

That was 8 years ago.  Then 7 years ago, we found
out it that compressed OBJECTS were not used at
the time AND incompatible with the Kenwoods.  Since
then, for the last 6 years I have asked for everyone
to not use the compressed object format and it
was obsoleted in the APRS11 adendum.

>The Kenwood ratios _do_ decode Base-91
>compressed posits.  What they_don't_ decode is
>base-91 compressed object/item format.   Why
>obsolete the entire format just because the
>Kenwoods didn't implement that part of it?

Pleaser read my line 1 again.  I said the compressed
OBJECT Format is obsolete, I did not say the
compressed position format is obsolete.

Thanks,
Bob