[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 3 15:31:11 EST 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> I would advocate for continued and expanded use of compressed format AS LONG
> AS those who use it understand the limitation, which is small: "don't send
> object/item reports using compressed mode"

In fact Xastir can be set to this exact mode.

> An even more efficient use of the channel is the OpenTRAC protocol. It can
> be used without harming ANY APRS users, but users of OpenTRAC should know
> that no APRS users can see them, which makes it of limited use at this time
> on this frequency.

Invisible to all except Xastir users who are using AX.25 kernel-mode
TNC's (Linux) or Serial KISS TNC interfaces (all other OS'es we
support).  Xastir will plot the OpenTrac stations just fine in this
case.

Note also that any OpenTrac packets won't get gated to the APRS-IS
either, so no bandwidth is taken up there and no packets get routed
to clients hooked to those internet streams.