[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 3 11:07:18 EST 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, J. Lance Cotton wrote:
>
> > If we all used compressed position packets (on all but items and
> > objects), all of our packets would be so much shorter and the 144.39
> > channel could support more users (or rather could better support the
> > existing ones!)
>
> I run nothing but compressed packets from my home station.  If
> someone wants to see what they look like, look for packets from
> we7u-3.

I should have mentioned that WE7U-12 (my usual mobile call) also
runs Base-91 compression, using one of Scott's OpenTrackers.  That
data is more interesting than the home station (which never moves!).

One thing that'll look strange at times is that base-91 compressed
packets will _look_ like they get concatenated together on
findu.com, but they're really not.  The browser sees an HTML tag in
the data.  If findu.com would escape those characters on HTML pages
then that problem would disappear, else enclose the data in "<pre>"
and "</pre>" tags so that the browsers would leave the data as-is.