[aprssig] Re: TNC Sleeping -- KISS OFF Utility

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 00:20:09 EST 2006

fred at wb4aej.com wrote:
>     I tried that using Hyperterminal.  No reaction.
>

>                                                                     Fred,
> WB4AEJ

Win2K and XP support UniCode, a new character encoding scheme that
utilizes TWO bytes per character instead of one byte classic ASCII
codes.   This allows 65,000-plus unique codes to represent characters in
a font instead of 255.   .UniCode now assigns a unique unchanging
numeric value to EVERY SYMBOL in EVERY LANGUAGE known to man, including
dead languages such as Egyptian hieroglyphics and Aramaic.  This makes
possible single fonts that can support multiple languages. (Most of the
standard Win 2K and XP fonts like Arial, Times and Courier are now
subsets of Unicode that support all languages written in Latin
characters {English, the West European languages, the East European
Slavic languages, the Nordic languages and Vietnamese] + Greek +  Hebrew
+ Arabic + Russian.)
     Installing MS Office on your machine installs a nearly FULL Unicode
font, "Arial Unicode".  This font, which supports virtually every
language currently in use in the world, including thousands and
thousands of Chinese and Japanese characters, has 30,000+ characters in
a single 25 Megabyte font file.

As a result of the UniCode support in Win2K and XP,   the ALT-numeric
pad entries of classic ASCII characters (which occupy the first 128
slots in the UniCode numbering scheme)  now need to be done with FOUR
digits instead of three.   For ASCII values, the leading digit is always
zero.

Thus the KISS escape routine has to be typed as ALT-0192,  ALT-0255,
ALT-0192 .

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths