[aprssig] Digipeater routing: 'Get me to findu'

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Tue Feb 28 10:45:24 EST 2006

Not a sure way (requires a two-way IGate), but you can try sending a
blank (no text) message to POSITS.  You should here a Morse code R
showing that you received an ACK from the server and receive a message
from POSITS indicating that your message was invalid.

As a reminder, the POSITS server can generate a message "from" a queried
station.  If you send a message to POSITS with a callsign (case is
significant), you will get an unnumbered message back indicating how
long ago the station was heard appearing to be from the station enquired
about.  This will cause the local IGate to also pass that station's
posit when it becomes available.  The message is unnumbered to prevent
an ack issue with non-message capable devices.

POSITS (not the queried station) acks your message and also generates a
"not found" message if the station is not found in the jFindu database.
POSITS does not generate position packets (keeps the integrity of the
near-realtime aspect of APRS).

Do not query about the station you are operating from (I don't think)
because I can't guarantee how different devices will like seeing
messages from themselves.

More info than you probably wanted to know but I figured I would take
the opportunity to remind folks that the server was there.  ;-)

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net