[aprssig] APRS Object

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 28 00:44:03 EST 2006

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Stan - N0YXV wrote:

> Ok every time I think I've got this APRS thingy figured out something
> strange comes along. On my APRS map I keep getting an object in the form of
> a large red "X" on a town near me in Nebraska. There is no description or
> explanation as to why it's there. Next to the red "X" the letters LKP or
> LKP2. It appears to originate from a Ham in Wyoming - K0DJ. Would be nice
> "In my expert opinion" ;-) if people would at least put in a Beacon comment
> so we would know why the object is there.

LKP could stand for "Last Known Point".

Someone might be playing with objects in Xastir and putting the
object on top of somebody's property that they know, just to
familiarize themselves with the operation.  Just a guess.

Last Known Point is a term used in SAR, but I suspect finding
someone in Nebraska when they got lost in Wyoming would be
difficult.  Or vice-versa.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer