[aprssig] Digipeater routing: "Get me to findu"

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Mon Feb 27 20:22:03 EST 2006

In essence, this is what the NSR algorithm does.  It relieves the user
from having to know the local network topology (paths).  The local
networks are tied together via layer 3+ networks, in your example:
APRS-IS (APRS on the Internet).  Through the "magic" of the Internet
network, findu (and every other station on APRS-IS that wants to see
you) will see your packets if the local digipeater sysop(s) is(are)
using the generic AX.25 digipeater (NSR) algorithm.  More importantly,
it provides local coverage to all users without interfering with
adjacent networks while giving everyone a gateway to the world network.
It also allows the local network, in an emergency, to support networks
other than APRS.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net