[aprssig] APRS Maps and Setup

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Feb 23 17:30:34 EST 2006

>How often to beacon? We keep hearing that if you beacon
>every 10 mins, anyone travelling into range of your location
>would be aware of your existence within 10 minutes. My
>personal recommendation would to beacon less often for
>a fixed station... perhaps every 20 to 60 minutes.

The APRS standards are
* 1 packet per 30 minutes if using a path greater than 1 hop
* 1 packet every 10 minutes ONLY if involved in a LOCAL SPECIAL
   event AND using 1 hop or less (no hops, direct).
* Mobiles as appropriate for their area.  In busy areas:
    5 minutes routine,
    3 min for 30 min commutes
    2 minutes for special events
    1 minute only for special events and only using 1 local digi

The only stations that are an exception to those standards
for "net-cycle" time are digipeaters that are encouraged to
digipeat their positions once every 10 minutes DIRECT only,
and once every 30 mintes via 1 hop and optionally once an
hour via 2 hops under the New-N paradigm.  and to have
HID turned OFF.

de Wb4APR, Bob