[aprssig] Using a TNC as a CW Beacon Only

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Sun Feb 19 14:33:28 EST 2006

That would be a neat idea.... an app running on a laptop in the car that
recorded the time/date stamp and position of a $GPRMC sentance from a
GPS receiver in the car each time it receives a packet from the TNC...

So, on the digipeater TNC have it send a beacon every 30 seconds on a
freq other than 144.39.  Heck, even every 4 seconds would be a 25% duty
cycle... prob not too hard on the radio.  Seems like a Kpc3 tnc would be
suitable for this... one could remotely log in and alter the beacon
timer for the test and turn it off when done.

in the car, have a small program that watches two serial ports... one
with a GPS, the other with a TNC.

The program would receive the GPS sentences all the time, keeping the
current (ie last received) time and lat/lon in a few variables.

Each time ANYTEXT comes in on the serial port with the TNC attached,
write the current gps time and lat lon to a log file on disk.  A clever
person would format the log entries so that they resembled APRS packets
and could later be played back into your favorite aprs app to
graphically visualize the coverage area.

Wes