[aprssig] New APRS Client, Request for Developers

Tyson S. timbercutter at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 19:43:38 EST 2006

Ok, as a user of APRS I'll take a stab a two feature requests that I am
dying to have. One, I want a stand alone APRS client that installs,
runs, and is as stable as UI-VIEW, I want to be able to connect to both
a TNC via a serial port, and to the TIER2 filtered port APRS-IS servers
to obtain packet data, BUT, what I really want to have is the ability
for this client to automatically download and permanently cache
Terraserver Topo maps and aerial images for areas of my choice, and not
one map at a time like UI-TERA for UI-VIEW, but a big area like a whole
State (Oregon). I guess if you were going to use .JPG's for maps the
client would need to set a maximum size of the map and then fill it
with tiles, then move on to the next map...? Something like 1024x768
Etc. Two, the other thing I would like to see is the ability to click
and drag either a square/rectangle, or better yet, multiple clicks to
make a polygon like in GIS software, but then assign callsign-ssid's to
these areas you make. If the client is connected to the Internet, it
will send an email to any address or addresses you choose for that area
when a call transmits it's position from within that area. Location
notification to cell phones with email addresses. You would need time
functions built in, for example I would want to receive an email from
the client software when A1BC-7 enters one of my polygons, but only
send one email per 24 hour period. Or I might want notification every
60 minutes, ETC. Wildcards would be good too, set a polygon around your
home town and when ANY callsign (except for the ones on your excluded
list, yeah we will need one of those) enters then you get a
notification(s), at your custom intervals.

N7ZMR

Check out my APRS digipeater:
http://map.findu.com/FIELDR