[aprssig] Using a TNC as a CW Beacon Only

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Sat Feb 18 17:31:06 EST 2006

Yes

Andrew Rich
Amateur radio callsign VK4TEC
email: vk4tec at tech-software.net <mailto:vk4tec at tech-software.net>
web: http://www.tech-software.net
Brisbane AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Fred Atkinson
Sent: Sunday, 19 February 2006 6:30 AM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: [aprssig] Using a TNC as a CW Beacon Only

     I am wanting to set up a beacon that would transmit (in Morse Code) my
ID every two to ten minutes on a two meter simplex frequency.  I want to do
this so as to be able to do some coverage tests (Have the radio/ID running
at a proposed APRS location and drive around the area gathering signal
strength reports in the different locations.  It would not be on the APRS
frequency, but on a less popular simplex frequency (probably somewhere near
147.5 megahertz where I wouldn't likely be bothering anyone).

     Could a TNC-2 be programmed to send a Morse Code ID (my callsign) every
two to ten minutes regardless of whether or not it receives packet data?  Or
would it only identify when it is processing packets?

     Regards,

                                           Fred, WB4AEJ