[aprssig] D700 or... ? for simultaneous voice and packet

Rich Mulvey aprs at mulveyfamily.com
Fri Feb 17 22:08:02 EST 2006

Mark Earle wrote:
> >Maybe you can find a used V7A.
> >
> >73 and good luck.
>
> But, some of the V7A's (a fair number of them) had a display failure.
> So buying used without checking in to this could be bad. Do some
> searching online, there are many discussions about the topic.

   The V7a's with black trim around the display seem to be the ones with
the problems with lines showing up and obscuring the display.  The later
"improved" ones had purple trim.

   I really like the V7a - simple to use, and the head is small enough
to install anywhere, even in my Civic.   Works fine for APRS, especially
if you don't transmit on the voice side a lot.  ;-)

   I really wish other manufacturers would come out with a cheap dual
bander where you can dedicate one side to data, and the other to VHF or
UHF....

- Rich