[aprssig] APRS for a motorcycle - radios?

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 04:21:59 EST 2006

So long as the GPS receiver can do that.  Not all can!

Personaly, I'd have no problem having a tracker on the bike, but I'd
prefer to concentrate on riding the bike and not hitting anything or
falling off!  GPS, APRS etc, even voice comms, can take a back seat
while moving.  Thats just my opinion though.

On a technical note.  Depending on the actual bike, some of the 12V
systems can have quite wild excursions from the nominal 12 to 14V
compared to a car, especialy the smaller bikes with magneto/alternator
combo's.  Also vibration could be a long term factor in the reliability
and stability of the radio/GPS etc.  Probably only the big singles, or
older Hog's etc suffer that to a point where it'd be troublesome.

Anyone else on here got a MT500 or 350?

Dave G0WBX.