[aprssig] Star Wars..

AA3JY at Winlink.org AA3JY at Winlink.org
Wed Feb 1 11:38:50 EST 2006

Now..does this sound familiar..?

Star Wars Speed Trap

GPS being used to catch speeders
By ERIC  PETERS

Like tearing off that sticker on mattresses that  warns us not to
"under
penalty of law," most of us don't pay much attention to  speed limits.
Five to 10
over is the rule, not the exception -- as any survey of  average
traffic
speeds will confirm. We vote with our right foot every time we  get
behind the
wheel, countermanding the diktats of the local bureaucrats who  erect
limits that
are frequently well below what large majorities (better than  85
percent, if
you want an actual figure based on traffic surveys) consider
reasonable rates
of travel.

But what if driving faster than the  posted limit became an
impossibility?

For years, this has been “The  Dream” of safety-badger types, who
equate any
deviance from often  arbitrarily-set posted speed limits with mowing
down
small children in a  gigantic SUV with really loud mufflers, one hand
on the
wheel, the other  clutching a half-empty fifth of Jack Daniels. They
pushed for
mechanical  governors (which never flew) and even managed, briefly, to
get a law
passed that  required all new cars to be fitted with speedometers that
read
no faster than 85  mph.

Now, however, the technology exists for a great leap forward --  or
backward,
depending on your point of view.

The Canadians are  testing out a system that combines onboard Global
Positioning Satellite (GPS)  technology with a digital speed limit map.
It works very
much like the in-car  GPS navigation systems which have become so
common on
late model cars -- but  with a twist. Instead of helping you find a
destination,
the system, prevents  you from driving any faster than the posted speed
limit
of the road you happen  to be on.

As in a conventional GPS-equipped car or truck, the system  knows which
road
you're on, as well as the direction you're traveling. This  information
is
continuously updating as you move. But in addition to this, the  system
also
acquires information about the posted speed limit on each road, as  you
drive.
Once your vehicle reaches that limit, the car's computer makes it
increasingly
difficult to go any faster.

Ten vehicles equipped with  this technology are currently being tested
in the
Ottowa area; if the trail is  "successful," a wider series of tests is
planned. And it's a sure bet the entire  thing will eventually be the
object of a
very strong-armed push aimed at making  it mandatory equipment in every
new car.
"We are trying to assess the  operational acceptance issues," says
Peter
Burns of Transport Canada's road  safety directorate.

But is all of this really necessary -- or even a  good idea?

For one thing, if current speed limits are so sensible,  why do so many
of us
disobey them routinely? Are large majorities of us simply  indifferent
to our
own safety and that of others -- even though we seem capable  of
behaving
responsibly in other aspects of our lives?

Or are speed  limits often set unrealistically low?

And if they are, wouldn't it  make more sense to adjust them so that
they
reflect a more reasonable consensus  -- based upon how we actually
drive --
rather than constantly pushing for new  ways to compel compliance with
limits that
most of us clearly think are too  low?

Bear in mind that for 20-plus years, we were relentlessly nagged  by
the
self-styled "safety lobby" (and its profiteers in the insurance
industry)  that to
exceed the sainted 55 mph limit was "dangerous speeding" that put
ourselves
and others at risk. Yet when Congress finally repealed the 55 mph
limit in
'95 -- and most states raised their highway limits to 65, 70, even 75
mph in
some cases -- highway fatality rates did not increase as predicted. In
fact,
just two years after the majority of states increased their maximum
highway
speed limits, the total national highway fatality rate reached an
all-time
record low of 1.64 fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled
(VMT).

This proved that driving 65 or 70-something mph on a highway  was not
"unsafe." The big difference post-'95 was that you no longer had to
worry about
getting a ticket for doing it.

The same issue exists on  many secondary roads, where under-posted
limits are
routinely ignored by most  drivers -- but vigorously enforced by radar
traps.
Like the tickets issued to  people under the double nickel, the use of
radar
to nab motorists exceeding  these under-posted limits is justified on
the
basis of "safety" -- even though  most of us know that driving five or
10 mph
faster doesn't in and of itself  constitute unsafe driving any more
than doing 65
or 70-something mph did under  the old 55 mph NMSL.

And sometimes, it's necessary to accelerate  rapidly in order to avoid
an
accident -- even if it means momentarily exceeding  the posted limit.

But Canada's little experiment could bring a  screeching halt to all
that --
literally. Dumbed-down limits -- and dumbed-down  driving -- would
become much
more than the law of the land.

They  would become an inescapable way of life.

Some might welcome a world  in which driving faster than whatever the
speed
limit happens to be is  impossibility. But it might be more
common-sensical to
post realistic speed  limits -- and deal with the handful of drivers
who won't
or can't drive  reasonably -- than to treat every driver on the road
like the
irresponsible  one.