[aprssig] TNC-200 Assistance

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Dec 31 21:30:21 EST 2006

Rich W4RSE wrote...

> I am running UI-View 32 V2.03 and I get no activity, (blinking lights
> or packets in the Monitor) in KISS mode. The only light that blinks
> is the DCD light, goes off when the squelch is broken.
>
> My port settings are as follows,
> Baud: 1200, also tried 9600
> Data Bits: 7
> Parity: Even
> Stop Bits 1
>
> I now receive mostly characters on the power cycles, but no other
> communication. The characters are not always the same.

Take UI-View right out of the equation. Get your TNC going with a terminal
program first so you can determine the settings. If you can't talk to it
with a terminal program, it won't get any better or any easier in UI-View.
It would be a tedious procedure to go through and try every baud rate that
the terminal program was capable of in combination of 7 or 8 data bits,
odd or even parity, and varying stop bits. Do you have the documentation
for the TNC? If not, is there anyone on-list that can tell you how to do a
full reset to the TNC-200 and what the default settings are? Without
knowing what the current settings are, or what the default settings are
after a reset, you might have to resort trying many combinations until you
come up with the right settings.

> The Key sequence, [<Alt> 192, Q, <Alt> 192] produces nothing in
> hyper-term in any variant, (all one line, each sequence separate, or
> without spaces and commas).

If it's "stuck" in KISS mode, try alt-192, alt-255, alt-192. Try also alt
0192, alt 0255, alt 0192. I hadn't heard of "Q" before. Maybe it's a
"Paccom" thing? For a Kantronics TNC, the sequence would be to hold down
the ALT key, type in 192 (or 0192) and release the ALT key, and then
repeat it for 255 (or 0255) and then again for 192 (or 0192).

The following page may or may not be useful - after you get the serial
port settings correct. Strangely, I couldn't see a parameter there for
setting the "baud" rate on the serial port. Of course, you would have to
be set at the right settings to adjust it.
http://www.paccomm.com/cmdrefcrd.html

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH