[aprssig] Commercial integrated APRS/GPS handhelds?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Dec 31 12:36:49 EST 2006

All of the commercial offerings I've seen have been very pricey, and they're
all proprietary.  A GPS speaker mic I found was about $550/unit (not
counting the radio), plus several grand for the base unit.  A commercial
tracking program like Fugawi Tracker will cost you about $700 to track 5
units on 1 PC.

The stuff's there, but the market is relatively small (the cellular services
are going to keep 2-way radio AVL a specialized niche, I think) and you're
not likely to see much priced for amateurs.

Scott
N1VG