[aprssig] UPS

Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD lists at hatzakis.net
Tue Dec 26 14:25:31 EST 2006

I'll try to be helpful here... First, most UPS's do not run on 12v, they run
on 48v for the older and larger units and the newer one's use a lower
voltage, but still much higher than 12v required for TNC's and radios, so
you simply cannot use a UPS to keep batteries charged to run a TNC/Radio if
this is what you were thinking...

The best thing to do, and is what I do, is use a UPS to power your PC's and
other devices that NEED 115v, then use a large 12v power supply to power
radios and TNC's.  If you buy separate 12v batteries and keep them charged
using a West Mountain radio, PWRGate, to keep them charging, then when you
have a power loss, your UPS only runs those devices requiring 115v and then
the rest will automatically be powered on batteries using the PWRGate.  I
think this is a similar config that many I have heard on this list also use.

Michael  K3MH  Bellevue, WA