[aprssig] D700 in cold weather?

Gary n6lrv at cox.net
Sun Dec 24 23:24:09 EST 2006

Hmmm... according to my info from Kenwood there is no temperature control
system in the D700 instead (and like many kenwood mobiles) the fan is
designed to turn on when the radio is keyed and turn off after a
predetermined time has passed (probably a FET or 555 timer or similar
controlling this). A better idea would have been to position the fan to
actually cool what gets hot instead of blowing into a flat surface but
then Kenwood has done that with many radios. Unless your radio's fan
actually says 'ball bearings' on it then it probably has bushings and
they get noisy pretty quick. I haven't seen a Kenwood mobile yet come
equipped with a fan that has ball bearings but I haven't seen everything
yet.
73,
Gary