[aprssig] Packet errors

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Dec 22 19:23:14 EST 2006

On Dec 22, 2006, at 6:21 PM, Bogdan, Rick wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this packet?
>
> ka1udx>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,T2WXCWOP:@222322z1234.56N/
> 01234.56W_045/001g006t042a1wka1udx>APRS,TCPXX*,qAX,T2WXCWOP:@222322z12
> 34.56N/01234.56W_045/001g006t042a1w
>
> It shows up at FindU.com as a bad packet.

Presuming that you simply hit the paste button twice, explaining the
double packet (it does not show double on the findU error page or the
raw data page) it is a weird side effect of using a made up lat/lon.
Many trackers and programs send zeros as a lat/lon when none is
entered. I could test for this with a compound boolean like

(($lat == 0) && ($lon == 0))

instead I just use

($lat+$lon == 0)

Since western hemisphere lats are represented as negative, the sum of
the lat and lon you are sending add up to zero.

I didn't intend for this test to look for people that enter the same
made up number for lat and lon, but it does, and it caught you! You
should not be sending bad positions, it makes maps in all the clients
look screwy, and messes up things like my near page.

Enter your correct latitude and longitude and it will work fine!

Steve K4HG