[aprssig] PSKMail Live CD

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Dec 20 13:57:55 EST 2006

On Dec 20, 2006, at 11:18 AM, Jeff Davis, KE9V wrote:

> Following your logic I could develop a new mode of operation that
> could only be accessed using a certain ICOM transceiver (for example).
> Legal? Yes... in the spirit of the hobby?

The spirit of the hobby is providing service to others. WinLink does
that in a superb manner, in the very best spirit of ham radio. That
they set standards and have to say no to some volunteers in order to
provide the best possible service does not violate the spirit of
amateur radio. Traffic nets have the same limitations, just because
you want to be a net control station doesn't mean you will be allowed
to do so.

> Creating and promoting exclusionary modes that require proprietary
> hardware and software seems more like an old boys club than
> enlightened thinking -- especially when those signals invade the RF
> sandbox where we are all allowed to play.

The FCC specifically allows closed repeaters in the US. There is
absolutely no legal or moral obligation to allow every ham to play on
any system.

Steve K4HG