[aprssig] PSKMail Live CD

Stephen Brown Jr stephen.brown75 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 09:54:17 EST 2006

>To accuse someone of playing God with their own invention is grossly
unfair.

How so? I respectfully disagree. That is exactly what they are doing with
this system, playing "god" There are no other systems out there than can
accomplish what theirs can (not yet anyhow), therefore we are forced to use
their proprietary closed system and they decide who becomes a PMBO or not
and if you meet their "criteria"

To make matters worse, they told one of my friends that he could come online
as a backup PMBO and that they would need remote access to his
radio/computer equipment and can bring it up and down at will. As you can
imagine, that went over real well with him as I'm sure it would anyone.  How
is that not playing god?

> When one produces a new technology, one should have the right
> to develop it any way one wishes. One very valid way as you advocate
> is to allow anyone to use and modify it. An equally valid way is to
> maintain control of the technology and strive for the best quality
> and a high level of service and utility.

I agree with you on that. However, why should we as end users and others
that want to create their own systems be at the mercy of those that simply
think their system is the best and should become the defacto standard!!?? My
point is that just because someone develops a system doesn't mean that their
way is the best way, that is the beauty of open source. People fix and patch
things in the open source community all the time and are able to do so
because the source code is available to anyone who wants to see it or modify
it.

> Taking away my right to make this choice has a name, communism!

You still have a right to make that choice. No one is debating the ability
to do that, thank god we live in America were we are afforded the
oppurtunity to do that. The center of debate from my angle lies within a
free versus non-free system and I'm not talking about money. I'm talking
about freedom of choice and innovation.

I am a very big open source zealot and use FOSS daily, not because it
doesn't cost anything, but because of the ideology behind it and the people
that support it.

73's
Stephen
N1VLV