[aprssig] PSKMail Live CD

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 20 01:57:22 EST 2006

So explain what isn't "free" about WinLink?
And why is it overhyped?

I think it's about as free as it can get, except maybe

If you consider the cost of a Pactor-3 modem, which isn't

Nearly as expensive as a nice HF rig.  Using Packet, even

Miserly Hams can access Winlink via Telpac using existing

Packet modems and VHF radios.  You do NOT need Pactor-3

To access it, many older packet modems include Pactor-1

Which works fine most times.

I think it isn't hyp'ed enough!

It's a great system.

It serves the Amateur community daily, 24/7,

Not just putting blips on maps for the amusement of

Of Ham's wife wondering where her husband is.

And a Linux flavor is surely welcomed now!

So just what is PSKMail? If it doesn't have the

Infrastructure of WinLink it will never be much use.

I can't download a 411MB file to find out. that's worse

Than buying a Pactor-3 modem!