[aprssig] GPS recommendations

Amir Findling sarlabs at twcny.rr.com
Wed Dec 13 22:36:24 EST 2006

I can strongly recommend the Garmin 60Cx and/or 60CSx. I use it for SAR,
road navigation, overseas navigation and APRS. It is a wee bit expensive
though. Now the 60C or 60CS (no x) are no longer made/sold by Garmin and
you may find good deals for these models on eBay. While it does have USB
capability for mapping etc. it does have the old round serial plug, like
the III+ (so if you go for one of those, don't get rid of your old
cables). Now the 60 C or 60CS do not have upgradeable memory. They have
about 60 megs which gave me all of NYS roads and topos (minus NYC and
Long Island). Now you could also look into the 76C or 76CS. They are
equivalent to the 60C/CS models but have a larger memory(over 100 megs)
and they do float. The buttons are set differently and I found it not as
comfortable to hold in my hand as well as work the buttons. But your
opinion may differ.

73 de Amir K9CHP

While the newer eTrex Cx models may appeal to you, I believe they are
USB only models, not like the original eTrex series.