[aprssig] Wiki pollution

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Dec 12 13:13:36 EST 2006

[This is a response to a really old posting, because it's once again
becoming a problem]

I just referred a bunch of local folks to the wiki at info.aprs.net as a
one-stop-shop for information and links to information about APRS.  At the
moment it's in a bit of a sad state.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 04:12:59PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <scott at opentrac.org> flavor, containing:
> I just killed several hundred comments.  I started with a couple dozen spam
> keywords, and finally just deleted anything with http: in it.  I'm going to
> set up a script to do cleanup periodically (at least daily) and see if I can
> lock it down more.

Once again, the info.aprs.net Wiki's comment section has been filling up with
spam.  Some of it is pretty nasty.  A quick scan of the "RecentlyCommented" page
shows no legitimate comments in two months, and a couple of pages of spam in
that time.

Also, it seems that some folks are using the comment form to correct or add
information to Wiki pages instead of just editing the page.  The whole value
of a wiki is if the community keeps it correct and honest by editing pages
directly, and anonymous comments aren't nearly as useful as page corrections
--- especially when the comments are almost completely obscured by a steady
influx of links to gambling sites and other sites of questionable value.

Perhaps the comment feature serves no real purpose --- if it were unavailable,
it couldn't be spammed, and legitimate contributors could be encouraged to use
the actual wiki-editing features instead.