[aprssig] backup pwr systems

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Dec 11 19:49:11 EST 2006

Alex (callsign?) wrote...

> Best to just stick with a standard UPS for each item
> (or group of items) you want to keep powered or go
> with a grid-tie inverter system.  Having something that
> plugs into the wall as you describe is a sure-fire way to
> electrocute a line worker when the power goes out
> (because you don't have an anti-islanding relay
> installed as would normally come with a grid-tie inverter).

Definitely not  good thing to feed 120 VAC out into the line so some
unsuspecting line worker gets zapped with 15,000 volts or whatever the
other side of that transformer he was working on.

Some areas near where I live are experiencing winds in the 80 - 100 knot
range (that's hurricane strength) right now. This is the second big wind
storm we have had in about three weeks, with a shot of winter in between
(45 cm of snow and cool temperatures) and I've had a few bumps in the
power. Many places are already without power. I suspect that my backup
power system will be earning its keep again later on today. I can keep APRS
and IRLP 1148) going for about a week, but the ADSL connection would
probably go down in a day or two in a sustained outage. Ooops... my
prediction was correct. Power just went off. Running on emergency
power here!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH