[aprssig] backup pwr systems

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Dec 11 08:50:13 EST 2006

> What you describe is exactly a grid-tie inverter, just not so
> large as those used in all house or larger systems.  I have
> never seen how they protect themselves and others from the
> hazards of tying to the grid...

My thought is just a sensing circuit that only fires the
inverter MOSFET's on the rising side of the 60 cycle waveform.
And then fires them for 50ms or so on each cycle.  If there is
no waveform, then the inverter transistors don't fire.  Should
be very simple.

And would let me keep all my APRS stuff running 24/7 and take
advantage of the sun at midday.... Without having to re-wire
anything.. ;-)
Bob, WB4APR

minimal
> > effort, because the total interface is just plugging it in.
And
> > I woiuldnt lose the battery charge/discharge inefficiencies
nor
> > would I be wearing out my batteries every day by cycling for
> > this minimal power.
> >
> > Think of it this way.  There are dozens of stupid little
> > "wall-warts" haniging throughout my house that provide a
> > constant drain on my electric meter.  The 5W of heat that
each
> > one is consuming is just not worth re-wiring the house for
DC,
> > but the total of them adds up to probably a few hundred
watts 24
> > hours a day.  By injecting my solar power during the midle
of
> > the day when I get the most, into my mains, it would be like
> > paying myself 17 cents for every KWH I put in.
> >
> > Again, do not confuse this with grid-tie inverters that are
> > desigend to run your meter backwards and which require
Electric