[aprssig] backup pwr systems

Tad Burnett tburnett at vermontel.net
Sat Dec 9 23:38:20 EST 2006

The secret is to not let the battery voltage go above 14.2 volts...
13.8 will not fully charge a battery so you do need to charge up to 14.2...
I found that I could do this with an old unregulated charger with
110 volt light bulbs wired is series with the 110 v primary of the
charger...
socket the bulbs so you can easily change them to find the right ones
to match your average load.. Use lamp sockets with a built in switch and
you can can switch them in and out if you are doing extra TX for a while...
You need a meter that you can easily see 1/10 th volt in the area of 13.8
to 14.2....
You can do that with a 1 mil amp meter and a 12 volt zener and some
resistance
in series across the battery and then calibrate the face with a good
digital....

I ran a BBS with an old lap top with no internal battery in northern Vermont
where the power dropped out quit often and the battery lasted for years and
was always charge well enough to keep the laptop and radio going for about
10 hours before I had to jumper it to the car for a while to charge it
back up...

I don't know that I ever saved any life or anything at all but it is
kind of fun
to have a packet station running just to see who else is still running
too...

Tad N1QAG