[aprssig] backup pwr systems

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Dec 3 20:44:21 EST 2006

Joe N3HGB wrote...

> You guys are making this way too complicated. You just described a boat
> plugged into shore power. The battery charger charges the batteries that
> run the radio. When you unplug the cord and leave the dock, then you are
> on battery power unless the engine is running. Just go buy a nice big
> battery, gel or AGM preferred for indoors, and a decent battery charger.
> The nice part is the battery charger only needs to keep up with the
> average load, not the peak load.

You're right! I should unplug the widescreen TV, TV satellite receiver, AV
amp, AC supplies for radios in two different rooms not overly close to the
deep cycle battery bank & inverter, as well as the fridge and microwave
oven and all the lights throughout the house and get a small battery and
charger and some candles to go with it and uncomplicate my backup power
system <g> but then I wouldn't be able to keep several computers humming
along when the power was off which was the real reason for my backup
system. It's an added bonus that all the radios and related equipment keep
running as well. Everyone should base their backup power system on what
they need to keep running. Some people are happy waiting in the dark.
Others will be satisfied if they can get a flashlight out and hook up a 2M
radio and no APRS equipment and listen on the local repeater (if it's still
running) to everyone commenting on how the power is off, but I like to be
able to keep everything running. Everyone's needs are different. I just wish
I had a boat as well - hi!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH